Hustle for Huskies is a star studded event! On Saturday, June 7th Bud Carson STEM Academy hosted the 4th annual Hustle for Huskies event where all of the proceeds are put back into ten sports programs. City officials came out to support our programs such as, city council members, Angie Reyes English, Nilo Michelin, and Mayor Chris Brown. Our superintendent Dr. Helen E. Morgan and Hawthorne School District board members, Alexandre Monteiro and Luciano Aguilar, all made an appearance supporting Bud Carson Middle School. But wait there is more, LA Galaxy great, and former Bud Carson student, Gyasi Zardes came back to his home school to show support. The mayor presented Gyasi with a proclamation during the event.
Sports and academics play an important part of Bud Carson's culture. With help from the community and local business donations we were able to raise over $6,300. Families that came to this event were wowed by the talent show, basketball tournament, soccer tournament, LA Galaxy reps and all of the local businesses that came together to make this one amazing day!
Helen Morgan, Luciano Aguilar, Chris Brown, Angie Reyes English, Gyasi Zardes, Nilo Michelin, Alexandre Monteiro
5K and MGI Health Fair
The 12th Annual Hawthorne Mother's Day 5K took place on Saturday, May 10, 2014 at the Betty Ainsworth Sports Center.
Hawthorne's very own 5K is a popular event that brings the community together for a day of exercise, education and entertainment.
Click here to view more pictures
Keeping the Focus
As we come to the close of another successful and exciting school year I believe it is important to revisit our District strategic plan. This five year plan was collaboratively developed in 2011 by a diverse group of stakeholders who came together for three days to create the direction and focus for our District.
With the changes we are facing in education including the implementation of the Common Core State Standards, Smarter Balanced Testing, and a new funding formula; it is important to maintain our focus and continue to implement the values and goals that were determined to be paramount for our students and families.
The following is a synopsis of the Hawthorne School District Strategic Plan:
Mission Statement: To maximize each student’s potential to achieve educational excellence.
Vision Statement: A diverse community of lifelong learners who excel and positively contribute to an advancing global society.
- Students are the focus of all decisions.
- All students, parents, staff and community members are empowered, supported and held accountable for their role in the educational process.
- A personal commitment to excellence is expected of all students, parents, staff and community members.
- A safe, innovative and supportive learning environment is maintained where resources are allocated to support student learning, technology and collaboration.
- Local businesses, private and public agencies and the entire community are integral partners in the educational process.
- All individuals are valued and treated with dignity, courtesy and respect.
The strategic plan includes goals on which we will focus over the coming years. These goals include:
- Student Achievement – All students will meet or exceed grade level standards.
- Educational Environment – Provide a safe and healthy learning and working environment to maximize student learning.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Prioritize the District and site budgets to meet the needs of students while maintaining fiscal solvency.
- District Culture – Students, families, staff and community will continue to maintain the Hawthorne Way – mutual respect, trust, integrity and sense of belonging.
- Parent and Family Involvement – All schools will create an atmosphere where families are supported, valued, engaged and respected.
- Community Outreach – The Hawthorne School District community will continue to strengthen existing partnerships while establishing new relationships.
You will find the complete strategic plan on the Hawthorne School District website, posted in every school office, and prominently displayed in our District Board Room. Every board item presented to the Board of Trustees cites a District goal from this plan.
As you can see by the goals above this plan withstands the evolution of education and remains a valuable and viable guide for our District.
para español haz clic aquí